Tuesday, October 25, 2011

5 Weeks

Avery is doing so great, here are some new things she is doing . .
she has been more active lately, usually staying up for 1.5 to 2 hours after eating
she loves staring at the ceiling fans
she is really making lots more noises lately

Avery's firsts . . . .
first overnight at grandma and grandpa's
first time sleeping in her crib
wore a 0-3 month outfit

Lessons learned
read What to Expect in the First Year, before the baby is born (at least the newborn and 1 month section)
occasionally she will put herself back to sleep, so give her a minute or two to whimper before going in her room to check on her

Size
I am not sure what size she is, her next doctor's appointment is Nov 2.  I will post then, but I bet by the time we have that appointment she will be 22 inches long and 9.5 to 10 pounds.

She is now wearing some smaller 0-3 month onesies and sleepers.  She will be finishing up the last of the newborn diapers (in the next few days) and then moving to size 1 diapers.

Eating
She is eating 5-6 times a day and 4 ounces during the day and 5 ounces at her two night time feedings.

She is less gassy, but still spits up a lot.  I am just glad she isn't in pain as often after eating.  I think her digestive system must have matured a lot in the last two weeks.

Sleep
We moved her to her crib.  It was successful!!!  The first night she fought sleep for two and one half hours, but then slept for 5 hours straight.  The second night she fought sleep for 1 hour but then slept just under 5 hours.  After her initial 5 hours each night we fed her and then she slept 3- 4 hours.

It has been so nice.  Though I will say I struggle with sleeping when she is in the other room.  Not so much due to missing her, but just listening hard to make sure she is fine.  I need to remember that my girl has some lungs on her and I will absolutely hear it through the monitor if she is crying.

It has been nice though, as both Ray and I actually get to sleep in our bed together!  It's an amazing change from just a week ago.

Random
She likes the hokey pokey but not patty cake.
She hates wearing hats, which is too bad, because I have a ton of them!

Questions
I feel like she sleeps a lot during the day, does anyone know the normal amount an infant should sleep during the day?  When I try to keep her up, she gets MAD!

Pictures
Avery in her bear coat, it was cold but sunny out, so we went for a walk, but bundled up first!

 She is milk drunk here, she gets this way after most feedings!
 Grandpa reading the Sunday comics to her, a new tradition he just started. 

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are all settling into this new life of yours! At 5 weeks, she should still be sleeping A LOT! If you google "5 week old sleep patterns" you'll get a good idea of how many hours total she should be sleeping. If she is sleeping about 8 - 9 hours a night, then my guess is she should be sleeping at least 5-6 hours a day. Give her a month or 2 and she'll get into a rhythm of 2 naps a day. Until then, I say let her sleep if she needs to sleep. The one MANTRA I learned after some issues with Jax is this: sleep begets sleep! If they sleep well, they will continue to sleep well. Overtired babies do NOT sleep well. Some parents think if they keep their babies up, that will help them sleep more at night - not so! Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Avery is so precious. I love the pics! The one of her and grandpa is priceless. Nice work, mama! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great update! So glad to hear that she's settling into a good routine, and the sleep sounds perfect! I think that it sounds like she's doing really well, and if she wants to sleep, let her. But I don't know from personal experience, obviously... I love the pic of grandpa reading the comics to her - hopefully that's a tradition that will continue for a very long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that bear outfit! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She is ADORABLE! Interesting to read about her routines. Well done mommy.

    ReplyDelete