Monday, September 26, 2011

Avery's Birth Story

At our last OB visit I got to schedule an induction and we were set to be induced on Wednesday September 21st.  I was so happy and relieved to finally have a date and a plan!  All weekend people were asking me if I hoped that I would go into labor and I just kept thinking, no I am happy with our plan, let's stick to it.

Avery had other ideas.  On Monday September 19th at 3:15 my water broke.  It was a gush, but not like the movies.  I was folding towels, how random.  So I called Ray and left him a voicemail.  I called the doctor and they told me to go to the hospital.  I called Ray again and he answered.  Every time I called him for the last two weeks, he would answer by saying "Did your water break", but oddly this time he didn't.  So I told him to ask me his favorite question, just so I could say yes!

He left as soon as he could, but got stopped in traffic.  So he called Jean and asked her to bring me to the hospital.  As this was happening, I got in the shower and packed up the last two or three things I needed.  I was so worried that my water didn't break, but that was just paranoia.

My Dad and Jean came and picked me up and we met Ray at the hospital.  We checked in to L&D and our favorite nurse (yes we knew a decent amount of the nurses all ready) was the one to check me. 

As of 6:00 my water had broken, I was 2 cm, 80% effaced and having contractions.  Mind you, I couldn't even feel the contractions, they were just like the ones I had been having since I was 30 weeks.  So we watched the pre-game report for Monday night football and just hung out.

At 7:00 they moved me in the delivery room and since her butt was still so high in my abdomen, they did a quick ultrasound to ensure that she really was head down.  And she was.  At that point she was at a -2 station.

At 7:30 they started the pitocin because I wasn't feeling any of the contractions.

At 8 they upped the pitocin because I was still not having any pain.

At 9:00 I started to barely feel the contractions.

At 9:30 the doctor came in to check me and to place an internal contraction monitor.  This is meant to actually measure how effective the contractions are.  If they are registering at 60 or above, then they are good effective contractions.  When she went to place the monitor, she found a second bag of waters and ruptured it.  She placed the monitor and told me I was still the same as before.  At this point the only real discomfort I had had was the yucky feeling of sitting in the amniotic fluid, no one tells you how much comes out and how gross it feels.  I am pretty sure that the reason my body hadn't started having effective contractions was due to the second bag of waters.  Because once she broke that, things started moving quickly and painfully.

Almost immediately, I began really feeling the contractions.  These were painful and I had to breathe through them.  I even made a few funny noises, without meaning to.  At this point my contractions were lasting 40 seconds and were coming every 2 minutes.  They were registering about 80 consistently.  Some were worse, some not as bad, but nothing was below 60.  The contractions were painful, but it's funny how the second they were over I felt fine.

At 10:00 the nurse came in and asked if I wanted my epidural.  I felt stupid saying yes, since I was only at 2cm, but she said that my contractions were very strong and I would move quickly.  So I went for it.  The doctor was there within about 15 minutes and he went to work.  The epidural was not painful at all.  He finished it at about 10:30.  And good thing I got it when I did, since he got 4 phone calls when he was in with me.  I would have had to wait a long time for him if I had asked any later!!!

At 10:45 the nurse checked me and I was at 3cm, 100% effaced, 0 station and I had my bloody show. 

At 11:00 I was feeling good from the epidural!  Some pressure, but no pain!

At 11:45 I was still at 3cm.  The shift changed and my nurse who was leaving predicted at the next check I would be fully dilated based on how strong my contractions were.  Over the next hour the nurse turned down my pitocin twice and then eventually shut it off, because my contractions were getting too strong.

At midnight Ray and I went to sleep (how great, I slept through part of labor, thank God for epidurals). 

At 12:45 my nurse came in to see how I was doing and I told her I had pressure in my butt (so weird), so she checked me and I was 9cm!  She couldn't believe that in 1 hour I went from 3cm to 9cm.

I laid there thinking for the next hour, honestly I don't even remember what about. 

At 1:45 my nurse came and checked me and I was 10cm and she asked me to do a practice push and when I did she said she could see the baby's hair.  So it was time to go!!!

I woke Ray up and told him that I was ready to push and his response was, "So, should I get up?".

After that I began pushing at about 2:00.  The pushing wasn't bad, as long as she only made me do it for 3-10 second intervals.  The times she made me do the fourth were pretty tiring.  I felt so helpless, because I couldn't feel anything, I didn't think I was pushing all that well.  I felt like my head was going to explode from trying to push but not feeling anything.  About twenty minutes in I got sick a few times.  I figure barf was the theme of this pregnancy, why not end it that way? 

At 2:40 the nurse went and got the doctor and we started pushing again.  Ray was rubbing my back or stroking my hair, since I was holding my legs, but he did great.  I never got mad or annoyed with him (again the movies are very dramatic).  At 2:45 I felt a pop and there she was! 

They laid her on my chest and I immediately starting crying, it was involuntary.  Ray cried a little too.  She was so cute and waving her arms and sticking her tongue out.  She was wailing!  After about 10 minutes she went straight to the bo.ob, so we knew then she was an eater!!!

She weighted 7 pounds 6.2 ounces and was 19.5 inches long.  Her APGAR scores were 8 and then 9.  Her hair was dark brown and eyes dark blue.  She had great coloring and a cone head!

This labor had been so great.  Everything was how I wanted it, calm and no drama.  The lights were dim and for the most part, it was just the nurse and Ray.  In between pushing we talked about movies, football, and Avery's nursery.  After it was over, Ray and I just stared and played with Avery while the doctor took care of other business.  I had a second degree tear, but otherwise everything went well.

Dad and Jean got there shortly after and got to see Avery. 

We then went down to the room I would be staying in for the rest of the time.  Avery went to the nursery, where she wailed the whole time.  She was cold and hungry.  The nurses were so great and after a million checks and feeding the baby we finally went to sleep at about 6:00 (after sending Avery tot he nursery).

Here are some pictures of her first hours!!!

 Relaxing and checking my fantasy football scores.
 Ray eating dinner (I was so hungry).
 The room.
 Monday Night Football
 She's here!!!
 So perfect!
 Screaming!!!
 Getting weighted.
 Calming down.
 More tests.
 Baby footprints.
 So cute!
 Daddy love!
 First family photo.
 She is so little.
Happy Daddy!!!

7 comments:

  1. So happy for you!!! She is so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful story! She is absolutely gorgeous! Good job you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's so beautiful .....glad everything went so well!!! She is just beautiful....so happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! What a great birth story, it sounds like everything went perfectly. I hope you're enjoying every moment of your perfect little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! What a great story - gosh, it almost seems like your labor was peaceful! I love the pictures... I have the same ones of Max being weighed, getting footprints, etc. Isn't it surreal?!

    I hope you are enjoying your first week home with Avery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow - what a wonderful birth story! Thanks for sharing this! Love the pics - she's adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I missed so much! I'm sorry! WOW CONGRATS! You both are beautiful :D :D

    ReplyDelete