Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Trip to Labor and Delivery

Thursday started out as any other day.  I got up and as I was getting ready for work I was having a few BH contractions.  I had Ray feel my stomach just to feel how tight my stomach gets. 

And then I started to notice that I was getting them pretty often.  Ray made me count out how often they were coming.  During our trip to work, I realized I was getting them consistently, every 6-8 minutes.  Ray made me call the doctor.  When I called I was expecting them to say, lay down or something (because they are SOOOOO laid back everything), but they told me to come in for an appointment at 11 (about 1.5 hours later).

A girl at work told me I just needed to go right then and get there early, so Jean and I went to the Doctor right then and there.  They were starting to come more often, mind you these were truly BH, there was no pain, just lots of tightening in my stomach and taking my breathe away, but again no pain.

We got to the doctor and they got me in right away.  My blood pressure was 90/60 and everything else was normal.  Then they hooked me up to the contraction monitor.  It was nice because we heard her heartbeat the whole time, which was soo reassuring!!!  It was also nice that I could see when the contractions were happening.  I was nervous I would get there and they would be like, Kalyn, you are just being a baby, these aren't contractions or something like that.

So I laid there while they monitored the baby and the contractions.  We got to a point where they a minute and half apart and lasting 30 seconds.  And thought they were just BH it still made me nervous, as I am only 30w2d.

So the doctor came in and checked my cervix.  I guess there are two parts to your cervix and the first was open, but that isn't a huge deal and the second part was closed and very firm.  So that is the great news!!!

They gave me Nifedipine.  This is just a pill that is meant to stop the contractions.  So I took that at about noon and it gave me a headache, and since I all ready had low blood pressure, it did not help with my circulation and my face and feet got really red.

At that point the doctor released me and told me to call if I had more than 5 contractions in an hour.

So we left and went to Panera for lunch and then I headed home.  I was still having contractions, but I didn't count them, because I wanted to lay down first and see how it went from there.

About an hour later they were still happening so I started counting when they would happen and after two hours I had gotten them consistently every 4 minutes.  So I called Ray and he said he was coming from work.  I called the doctor and she said to go straight to Labor and Delivery.

I waited for Ray to come home and in that time I guess my adrenaline kicked in and I packed a make shift hospital bag, just in case this wasn't going to end the way I had hoped (as in leave the hospital still pregnant, rather than with a preemie baby in the NICU). 

Ray got home and we got straight to the hospital.  They hooked me up to the monitor again.  So we got to hear baby girl's heartbeat, but it didn't show me the contractions, that was reported at the nurses station.

So they gave me the shot Terbutaline.  This is supposed to be even better than the pill, so we waited to see what that did. 

Well, it still didn't stop the contractions, so they gave me another shot 30 minutes later (they can't give it to you more than once every 30 minutes).  So then we monitored it for another half hour and they had slowed, but not completely stopped.  So they gave me another pill.  About an hour later they released me.

Overall, it was an exhausting experience, I managed to not break down, even though I was scared, so I was very proud of myself.  I was physically exhausted.  Even though these contractions were just BH, I still had them all day for at least every 10 minutes.  And I had the worst headache from all of the medication.  But at the end of the day the most important thing is that Avery is still in there growing and hopefully she will stay in there for awhile.

So the last two days I have been home on bed rest and Ray is doing great and keeping up with everything I need.  I am still getting the contractions, but not as consistently and not enough to make another trip to the hospital.  Let's hope that continues!

As a fun side note . . . she is all ready making us laugh, she is feisty and maybe has a little bit of an attitude.  While she was being monitored, she would get tired of the pod thing over where she was and she would literally hit the pod until it moved.  She even did it when the nurse was trying to find her, she was knocking the pod from where the nurse was holding it!!!  That was fun to experience!!  I can't wait to meet her, but I am happy to wait 9+ more weeks.

9 comments:

  1. So glad everything is okay and baby girl is still inside!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, sounds scary, but I am SO Glad all is ok. I had a couple trips to L&D, too - nothing like getting your adrenaline pumping:). Hang in there, momma, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Avery, you need to stay in there and grow a little more before you come! :-) I'm so glad you two are ok and hopefully you get lots of rest this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear that everything is okay. It's so hard to know what's normal and what requires attention so better to be safe then sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, thank goodness they were able to stop those contracts. That baby needs to stay put for a while longer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be so stressful! I am happy the doctors were able to get those contractions under control. Nobody wants to have to take care of a preemie!
    Glad you are doing okay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you and baby are ok! How scary for you, I'm so sorry. My little one did the same thing, she kept kicking the pod and the nurse told me babies hate them and kick them all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that everything is alright with you and Avery! I can't imagine how worried you and Ray were, but I'm hoping everything will progress normally until 9 weeks from now. Praying for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - how scary! So glad to hear they were able to stop the contractions, as Avery needs to stay put! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete